8.0.1 will kill your cellular service and your TouchID button.
I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.0.1 this morning like a good soldier and noticed immediately my phone read No Service. I didn’t really think about it because I’m inside a building and that happens sometimes. An hour later my co-worker read me all the tweets flying about how the update kills your cellular service. So lo and behold the TouchID was broken too.
Here is the process I used to get my phone back and working:
- Plug it into iTunes
- Back up your phone. (This will not back up the OS. This will only backup all of your apps, text messages, etc. any data on the phone. )
- Download the image of iOS 8 from the internet here: iOS 8 Image List
- Hold Option and click Restore iPhone
- Select the iOS 8 IPSW firmware you just downloaded
- Click Restore and wait for iTunes to restore iOS 8
- When it’s done restore the backup you made in Step #2
Everything is working for me now, like it was before the update. The whole process took less than 30 minutes. The download, which is 2 gb, will take longer than the restore process itself; which is quick.
I hope this helps fix your phone if you updated, or prevented you from breaking your phone with the update.